Saturday, October 28, 2006

If. . .it's not just a sports team thing where my team wins. It's people's lives.

Noam Chomsky has this thing he says about how things can look good and feel easy in the middle of the empire. But out there on the edges, great harm can be done to individuals by what seem like small moves at the center.

So, he says, all activism to slow down the badness of empire at the center is good. Is an obligation. Is a matter of people's lives far from the center.

Henry David Thoreau piece that is usually called "Civil Disobedience" was called by him "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience." Which I'm not doing now. However, the least I can do is root for this outcome where my team might win in a bigger way, that my team, in office do some big good, especially for people with little natural power.