Monday, March 14, 2011

Jack Nicholson, the actor, said he wished everyday life were like making a movie so when you messed up you could say, "Take two," and have a whole other chance.

"That's not a bug; that's a feature" is an old computer programmer's saying.

Markus Persson, in writing in the February 2011 Game Developers magazine about making his computer game "Minecraft" didn't quote the saying, but did illustrate it. He said when he tried to make some pigs, they came out looking like "tall pillars with short stumpy legs," and they moved very oddly. He colored them green, and called them creepers. Some people like them so much they've become a symbol of the game to fans.

I think I miss some feature opportunities when something doesn't come out like I planned. I get annoyed at my lack of total foresight and control. Meanwhile, I could be asking questions forward. What color? Give what this is now, what is its true name?