Saturday, April 08, 2006

I want to write things that are like food, that nourish people.

I know that the way to do that is not to decide to do that. The best way to do that is not to have a plan.

For me, for anyone, the best I have to offer is the natural fruit of who I am and how I live.

The ever temptation for me is to write ads on behalf of the group of people who I think are right, to persuade other people to also be right. Maybe that can be useful sometimes but it isn't the best thing.

I am part of something too complex for me to understand--the whole world, the universe, all living beings. Any confluence of idea that swirl together here and now that I think are right are too local and too small to fit the big complexity.

Fortunately, like the whole thing, I too am too complex and big for me to understand. If I give me space to be the big complex being I really am, I bear fruit that fits the whole big thing and helps others be alive in it, helps them be the complex huge delight they really are.