Monday, August 04, 2008

* I noticed that San Francisco and California have the same number of syllables and accent pattern by singing a line from "The Lady is a Tramp" wrong without knowing I was singing it wrong, because it fit fine.

On summer morns, sometimes I sang, "Hate San Francisco, it's cold and it's damp. That's why the lady is a tramp."

Actually, as written, it's "Hate California, it's cold and it's damp." It seems quite likely that the reference was to San Francisco, but the word was California, in song written when San Francisco loomed larger in the elite's total experience of California.

The lady is a tramp partly because she says true things that aren't often said. I don't hate either San Francisco or California, but sometimes the dank mornings are a drag since I tend to feel a bit dank in the morning myself.