Monday, April 07, 2008

I read "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte more than once as a teenager--it's a romance.

Much later I read about it and that some people when it came out and later didn't like it because of its supernatural content.

Which I hadn't noticed.

It took me a while to understand what they were talking about.

Jane Eyre has left Mr. Rochester for good reason. Conditions have changed over time. For one thing, he has become a better person through suffering. However, he can't get in touch because he doesn't know where she is.

So one night he cries out in his loneliness, "Jane, Jane" and she, hundreds of miles away, hears him. She takes off to look for him, which surprises and doesn't please her current friends.

In several readings, I had never thought of her hearing him as odd or supernatural of anything. I thought it was fortunate, but also, of course it happened.

Sometimes I don't get with the program and don't notice that I haven't gotten with the program.