Thursday, October 12, 2006

"I have a feeling that my boat
has struck, down there in the depths,
against a great thing.

And nothing
happens! Nothing. . .Silence. . .Waves. . .

--Nothing happens? Or has everything happened,
and we are standing now, quietly, in the new life?"

--Juan Ramon Jimenez, "Oceans," translation by Robert Bly

I am lucky that on a particular day I was walking past the free book box in front of the used book store and all that was in the box was two manuals for old software and the book I found this poem in "Wedding Readings," selected with an introduction by Eleanor Munro. I thought, "Easy poem, corny." Easy to read yes, corny, no. Luck strikes again. It is an excellent anthology of literature about being in an intense relationship. Because of what it's being sold as, all the selections are short, but most could be thought about for some time. Some selections would be great any wedding, some I can't imagine anyone reading at their wedding because they're too heavy for that , but all would help anyone on the relationship path. Munro's "Wedding Readings" is a model of how to do a job. It's better than it needs to be.